Last week, The Vermont School Boards Insurance Trust (VSBIT) and SchoolDude hosted a facility best practices seminar in Berlin, VT for Vermont schools. The day was a huge success with districts from across the state in attendance to learn how to improve preventive maintenance, lower facility costs and enjoy the opportunity to network with neighboring districts.
VSBIT and SchoolDude work closely together to help Vermont districts better operate their facilities for added efficiencies and cost savings. VSBIT offers cost effective and risk management services, including professional development opportunities and consulting in physical plant management, deferred maintenance, playground safety and energy management. As the leader in education operations, SchoolDude solutions fit well with the services VSBIT offers.
Our joint seminar included presentations from VSBIT, SchoolDude and select Vermont school districts to help attendees develop a systematic approach to facilities management, understand the effectiveness of a preventive maintenance program to begin tackling deferred maintenance backlog and tips to implement a comprehensive maintenance program.
Here are 5 tidbits from the presentation to show what challenges your peers face and how you can implement preventive maintenance into your facilities management process to overcome those challenges:
- The top 2 challenges facilities and maintenance education professionals indicated in a recent survey are: Inability to Track and Report on their Data and No Preventive Maintenance in Place
- Performing preventive maintenance (PM) reduces emergency work orders by 25%
- PM work orders cost nearly 3 times less than corrective work orders
- If just starting PM, plan a progressive roll-out; don’t try to do everything at once
- Develop a structure for the distribution of PM work across your team to make your PM program sustainable
Read the top 4 tips for implementing a PM program in your department!
And for more information on the seminar or SchoolDude and VSBIT’s relationship, you can contact us here.