How many custodians should you currently have for your district or campus? How many should you plan to have next year?
The recently launched 2016 Facilities Budget, Staffing, and Operations Survey provides much-needed budget and staffing benchmarking data for K-12 and Higher Education. Educational institutions have told us budget and staffing benchmarking data is critical for maintenance and operations leaders to better understand what their school’s future staffing levels should be and how to allocate their budget. In today’s blog, we’ll highlight helpful staffing data from the 2016 Survey.
What are some general results? In both K-12 and Higher Education, Custodial staff ranks highest number of staff, followed by Maintenance staff, then Grounds staff.
What are some differences between K-12 and Higher Education?
- K-12 has 2.1 Maintenance employees per 1,000 students, while Higher Ed has more than double that per 1,000 students– 4.7 Maintenance employees.
- K-12 has 1 Grounds employee per 1,000 students; again Higher Ed has nearly double -1.8 Grounds employees per 1,000 students.
- K-12 has more custodial employees per 1,000 students than Higher Ed – 7.6 versus 6.6, respectively.
Looking at square footage maintained per employee is even more insightful. In K-12, median square feet maintained per Maintenance and Custodial employee decrease as school size/student enrollment increases; however, median acres maintained per Grounds employee increase as school size increases.
Higher Education Maintenance and Grounds employees maintain less area than K-12 employees, but Higher Ed Custodial employees maintain more square feet than K-12 Custodians.
Want to see the exact staffing numbers along with visual aides? Download the full survey report today. You can see staffing numbers, salary numbers, and budget data, plus read additional analysis on what this means for you!
Download the full survey report today to learn:
- Staffing levels for custodial, grounds, and maintenance
- Facilities landscape and building data
- Industry trends
- How to benchmark your current staffing, budget information, and operations performance
Our goal with this study is to become the gold standard for Maintenance & Operations benchmarks and operational excellence in education. By collecting financial and demographic data from districts, schools, and colleges with operational key performance indicators (KPIs), SchoolDude can provide insights into current budget and staffing levels and help you better predict and justify future resources and staffing needs.