The EPA has been involved in some great tips over the years for Indoor Air Quality and their Tools for Schools program. Follow some of their handy tips as you are getting into the summer season:
- Check windows and doors for breaks and air leaks.
- If you live in a humid climate, you may need to keep ventilation running and monitor humidity levels within the building.
- Ensure cleaned carpets are thoroughly dried to prevent mold growth.
- Review repairs and equipment purchases occurring over the summer to be sure they align with your IAQ management plan.
- Cleaners, adhesives, paints, pesiticides, solvents, carpeting, equipment and furnishings need to be researched to be sure they are toxic-free.
- Maintain and adjust combustion appliances and ensure proper venting to the outside of your facilities.
For more resources, tools and recommendations, check out the EPA's website for healthy school environments at http://www.epa.gov/schools/.
Other good preventive maintenance tips to implement in PMDirect for the summer could be inspections for:
- Roof leaks (look also to replace stained acoustical tiles)
- Roof drains, gutters and downspouts are allowing the proper flows
- Inspect flashing and coping along with expansion joints
- Equipment: general condition, coils, belts, filters, lubrication, piping, housings, pitch pans, controls