In last week’s webinar, Numbers that Matter: The Power of Business Intelligence in Education, 90% of attendees indicated they use operational Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), such as facilities and technology operations metrics and 70% use financial KPIs at their institutions.
We were very encouraged to see such large percentages of schools using metrics to track their performance. Are you tracking your performance via KPIs? If so, how should you apply all those metrics and data?
In our webinar, we reviewed several potential applications. Here are just a few:
- Decision-making – Use your data benchmarked to education peers to justify requests and change management. These requests could be for additional staff, budget or technology purchases, such as operations software or additional devices for your students.
- Data quality – We all know the old saying: garbage in = garbage out. Data integrity is critical to efficiently run your day-to-day operations. Knowing your KPIs can help identify gaps in data quality and what steps to take to improve that data.
- Accountability – KPIs help keep track of your team’s work to better distribute workload and make better budgeting decisions, but increased visibility for your team into their own work and successes can empower them.
- Benchmarking & reporting – Reporting is key to track your own institutions’ trends over time, but benchmarks against other institutions help give you context. Is your performance similar to peers, are you a top performer, or do you see areas where you can improve relative to what other schools are doing?
- Customer service - Is there a perception gap with what you think your customer service quality is and what your customers think? Data helps you identify your strengths and weaknesses when it comes to speedy communication with your faculty and other customers. In addition, sharing your KPIs promote engagement and awareness with your customers.
SchoolDude’s new platform, Dude Intelligence, allows schools to see their KPIs, comparing to schools of similar size and type; see dashboards and drill-down views of their data; use trend data and heat maps and more.
Watch last week’s webinar to see an overview of Dude Intelligence and request more information!
Stay tuned next week for an interview with District 49 in Peyton, Colorado. Hear how Jack Bay, Chief Operations Officer at District 49, uses his district’s KPIs and benchmarks to achieve his long-term operations goals.