Schools, and independent schools in particular, are ramping up their use of technology, therefore, they are having to re-think their technology programs to support the increasing technology demand. It is projected that $3.7 billion will be spent on laptops across all educational institutions*.
The way you staff your technology team is critical to ensuring your overall technology strategy is properly supported. Designing a staffing plan can be intimidating. In a NBOA Net Assets article, Gabriel Lucas, EdTech Recruiting and ATLIS, offered 10 tips that will help make the technology staffing process more manageable.
- Take stock of your existing technology team and their skill set.
- Consider what non-technology functions and departments might benefit from technology management, and determine what areas can be consolidated.
- Spend time researching and evaluating different staffing models.
- Define the reporting structure in your department.
- Talk to your peers and see how they are organizing their technology departments.
- As you build out the team always keep your school’s culture in mind.
- Focus on soft-skills and attributes that can’t be taught, such as, collaboration, patience, and problem-solving.
- Create a clear set of priorities with a realistic timeline.
- Look outside the box for talent. Local colleges and national technology organizations can provide a great pool of applicants.
- Consider temporary or part-time talent. This will allow you some flexibility as you design and build out your technology plan.
Building out and re-organizing your technology department can seem like a major undertaking, but it will be a change that will pay off in dividends. You will be ready and able to support the evolving technology landscape of your institution.
If you would like more in-depth information on Gabriel’s tips please check out NBOA’s Article, Building a Better Technology Team.
*2015 IDC study - https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS25608415 NBOA, Net Assets, Building a Better Technology Team - https://higherlogicdownload.s3-external-1.amazonaw...