A good Preventive Maintenance (PM) Program equals energy savings. With summer around the corner, take a look at these ten maintenance & operations tips from the US Department of Energy, in cooperation with National School Boards Association, that can increase energy efficiencies and create energy savings. Did we mention, these tips can be implemented immediately, at negligible cost—and are great beginner projects for new staff.
Ten Summer Project Ideas
- Install programmable thermostats (HVAC)
Temperature controls can be programmed to shut down heating and cooling during periods when space is unoccupied.
- Perform energy surveys and audits (information)
Walk-throughs and more intensive audits can quickly identify O&M problems and solutions
- Keep doors and windows closed (building envelope)
Open windows waste heating and cooling energy
- Review cleaning and maintenance activities (preventive maintenance)
Consistent and scheduled cleaning and maintenance are key to extending equipment life and avoiding costly breakdowns
- Provide training for key staff (preventive maintenance)
Knowledgeable personnel are imperative to sustained energy efficiency from O&M
- Conduct a plug load survey and develop a plan (plug loads)
Computers and vending machines can waste energy if their settings are not properly set to shut down after inactivity
- Control exhaust fans (HVAC)
Shut down exhaust fans when building ventilation is off to avoid unwanted outside air
- Inspect outside air systems (HVAC)
Clean roof units and economizers for proper operation
- Install outdoor lighting controls (lighting)
Timers and photosensors decrease wasted lighting for outdoor use
- Replace exit sign lights with LEDs (lighting)
LEDs require much less maintenance and have longer lives than conventional lights so they are great fits for exit signs
Not sure where to start?
If you have not yet implemented a preventive maintenance or energy management program, the summer time is a great time to get started. If time is a concern, consider taking advantage of one of our PM implementation service options. You can also schedule a KPI review, where we dive into your account and help make recommendations for the next step based on your actual account data.